ELearning In Healthcare Sector
The question arises from time to time. In any health care sector, how do we get all the healthcare practitioners to stay on top of the latest developments in diagnoses and treatment without compromising on their productivity?
As major breakthroughs and advancements in medical technology continue to happen, it makes it increasingly essential that health professionals be well informed to manage risks and eliminate hazardous mistakes within the realm of preventive, curative, promotional or rehabilitative health care services. To provide top quality care to patients, they need to constantly develop and hone their skills without wavering on their present-day responsibilities.
Continuous effective training paves the way for imparting the much needed knowledge on patient care and treating illnesses especially in circumstances where vital accurate information can mean the difference between life and death. This training can happen on the job through internships, job rotation etc. or off the job through class room lectures or conferences. Chances are these methods of training may not be possible in the ever busy world of healthcare professionals where time is a major constraint. This is when e-Learning can help. It is creative, innovative, and hugely successful. Its novelty is yet to wear off as it facilitates training anytime, anywhere, on any device, while on the move – in learning environments using portals or apps that stimulate discovery and enhances understanding.
It brings with it an array of benefits such as
- Ability to save on costs related to infrastructure and personnel which is unavoidable in the case of traditional class room environment.
- It provides continuous, just in time access to up-to-date medical expertise and this can help healthcare professionals perform duties more adeptly.
- It can meet each of the different learning needs and styles of each individual, be it graphs and videos for the visual learner, narration for the aural learner, notes and worksheets for the read/write learner or games or discussion forums for the kinesthetic learners.
- It suits the pace of all learners as the schedule and progress of training in its entirety is decided by each individual.
- It ensures compliance and accountability as it is easy to track and maintain record of everyone’s progress in training.
- Using Augmented Reality technology where Real and virtual objects are combined in a real-time environment, it is possible to engage learners and improve retention rate especially in scenarios where training in real-life context may not always be possible e.g. for providing training in minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery.
- Health professionals can better fit learning time into their busy schedules without impacting their productivity
Each of these benefits pinpoint to the potential usefulness and effectiveness of eLearning in the healthcare domain; and in totality they provide a relevant answer to the frequently arising question regarding Healthcare professionals being trained effectively and sustaining peak performance at the same time.